LinkedIn has released its latest Top Companies List 2019, identifying the companies where Brits want to work the most. The companies were measured by their ability to attract attention from UK-based jobseekers and to hang on to existing talent, with the 25 slots mainly taken by household names.
This year the top 5 positions were held by Amazon, JP Morgan, Sainsbury’s, GSK and Bupa – between them employing thousands of people and attracting professionals from across the globe. Klippa has looked at where hopeful job seekers would have to relocate to in order to work for the brands, and discovered the average month rent* in the local vicinity of the companies’ headquarters.
#1 Amazon – although it employs around 24,000 people across the country, 5,000 of those are based in London, split between its Holborn, Barbican and Shoreditch sites. In 2019, Amazon will also open a new 90,000 sq foot office in Manchester’s Northern Quarter, to house a further 600 staff.
- Average monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Holborn – £3,049pcm
- Average monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Barbican – £2,471 pcm
- Average monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Shoreditch – £2,043pcm
- Average monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Manchester M4 – £806pcm
#2 JP Morgan – reputed to employ more than 16,000 people in the UK, JP Morgan is one of the biggest US banks to have offices in London. Its imposing Canary Wharf base also serves as its European headquarters, making it a popular relocation destination.
- Average monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Canary Wharf, E14 – £1,744pcm
#3 Sainsbury’s – as well as a network of almost 1,200 supermarkets and convenience stores, Sainsbury’s employs more than 3,000 people outside of its shops – many at its headquarters in London’s Holborn. There was, however, a relocation of 150 staff from London to its offices at the Ansty Technology Park near Coventry.
- Average monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Coventry CV7 – £696pcm
#4 GSK – although GSK employs around 16,000 people across 18 UK sites, the pharmaceutical company chose Brentford for its global headquarters, where the majority of its employees are based. The international nature of its business and strong ties to the US make GSK an active relocator.
- Average monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Brentford TW8 – £1,393pcm
#5 – Bupa – the private healthcare supplier kept true to its Northern roots when it opened a new headquarters in Salford in 2018, which created its largest employment centre of all the 190 countries it operates in. The £65 million office brought together 2,000 staff from across two different city centre sites.
- Average monthly rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Salford – £778pcm
Klippa Relocation has agents covering all of the above locations, and can provide property and orientation services as part of a wider relocation package.
*All rental price averages supplied by home.co.uk